Bathhouse Number 6
Bathhouse number 6 was the last bathhouse built in St. Louis during the time when the need for bathing by those with no indoor plumbing was a critical problem. They were built in those areas of the city with the highest concentrations of laborers. Less than 1 in 1,000 of the 25% poorest had indoor plumbing. This bathhouse was built by the PWA in 1936-1937 for $42,763.
This bathhouse has 2 doors, men’s to the right, women’s to the left.
Spotlight: Old city bath house still stands after 78 years, Joe Holleman, St. Louis Post-Dispatch, Sep 5, 2015.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on January 23, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE