Muir Woods National Monument Main Entrance
The CCC did extensive work in Muir Woods National Monument. The National Park Service site summarizes their activity:
“October 1933: Often called the “busiest month” in the history of Muir Woods, this month saw the arrival of the Civilian Conservation Corps, or the CCC, to the park. Up to 200 men were stationed at this new camp, initially called Muir Woods Camp NM-3 The “NM” stood for National Monument. The camp was later changed to Camp Mt. Tamalpais SP-23, with the “SP” referring to State Park.
The men began work in Muir Woods and the surrounding Tamalpais State Park. Projects included a revetment (rockwork stream banks) in Redwood Creek; construction of a stone-faced concrete bridge on Fern Creek; construction of utility buildings and benches; and the construction of the Sidney B. Cushing Memorial Amphitheater (the “Mountain Theater”), near Rock Springs, on Mt. Tamalpais. The CCC completed its last project in Muir Woods in May 1941, and was disbanded shortly thereafter.” (http://www.nps.gov/)
“Unfortunately, some of these projects disrupted natural processes and degraded ecosystem health. For example, the removal of woody debris and the construction of bank revetments or rock walls along 3,541 feet of Redwood Creek prevented the formation of natural pools and undercut banks, which degraded or eliminated the complex habitat that spawning and juvenile coho salmon and steelhead require. Floods were curtailed, and when they were, bare mineral soils were no longer exposed, diminishing the opportunity for coast redwood seeds to sprout into seedlings.” (NPCA Park Report)