Entrance to administration building Ranger Station - Mt Shasta CA
The Mount Shasta Ranger Station was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1935 in classic rustic park style. The original Ranger Station consists of several buildings, including the main office/visitors’ center, timber management office, guest house and auxiliary buildings – which remain in pristine condition.
The ranger station was the headquarters of the Shasta National Forest (1905) until it was unified with the Trinity National Forest in 1950. It is now one of four management units of the Shasta-Trinity National Forest, whose headquarters is in Redding. A sister station is located in McCloud CA.
A relief map of the Shasta-Trinity area hangs in the lobby of the main building. It probably comes from the same Berkeley workshop that produced relief maps of San Francisco and Los Angeles, among others. It is dated 1935.
The CCC was active in the Shasta National Forest and throughout Northern California.
The Forest Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps, 1933-1942 (online book). Chapter on California at https://www.nps.gov/parkhistory/online_books/ccc/ccc/chap7.htm
Project originally submitted by Joan Greer on February 18, 2018.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE