"Technical Personnel" Local Experienced Men"Technical Personnel" Local Experienced Men
This camp was constructed by the Army Corps of Engineers for training and occupied by the 450th Company, P-234 October 15, 1937 near the old quicksilver mines of Almaden at the site of the ghost town of English Camp. Work projects accomplished by the 450th included construction of truck trails, telephone lines, bridges, lookout towers, fire prevention landscaping, spring development and rock walls. A group of 40 men were sent to a side camp at Aptos near Santa Cruz to build truck trails and another group of 22 went to a camp at Smith Creek near Lick Observatory on Mt. Hamilton.
Company 450 was formed May 20, 1933 in Fort Screven, Georgia and after two weeks of training, deployed to White Springs Florida to assist the Forest Service.
There is a flagpole and memorial to the CCC at the site.
Fresno District Civilian Conservation Corps, 9th Corps Area, Fresno California, January 1938.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on April 29, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE