Ashland, DE: Old Mt. Cuba Road bridge
Delaware’s old Bridge 119, which carried Mt. Cuba Rd. over Red Clay Creek, was “built in 1939 by Olivere Paving and Construction Company of Wilmington, Delaware under State Highway Department Contract #664 (PW.A. Project No. 1039F).” The building has since been replaced. The federal Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant of $19,514. Construction occurred between December 1938 and August 1939. “The final cost of the structure was $25,542.25, representing an underrun of $2964.75 from the proposal cost.” (Delaware DOT)
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 5. http://www.deldot.gov/archaeology/historic_pres/bridges/pdf/br_119.pdf
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 7, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE