Mount Tamalpais Redwood ClearingCCC crew cutting down a redwood tree in 1936.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive improvements to the newly-formed Mount Tamalpais State Park on Mount Tamalpais – a favorite hiking and recreational spot for San Franciscans all the way back to the Gold Rush era (1850s).
The California State Parks website adds these details:
“The CCC expanded the recreational opportunities of park visitors with new trails, camping facilities, and the monumental amphitheater. Except for the winter of 1938, veteran companies occupied the CCC camp from April 1934 through April 1940.
Mount Tamalpais State Park has these CCC features: Mountain Theatre (Cushing Memorial Theatre) and Actor Dressing Rooms, Fire Lookout Tower, Footbridges, Camp Stoves, Sixteen campsites and Thirty-Two day use sites.”
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on September 25, 2010.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The fire lookout at the East Peak of Mount Tam is not located in the state park. The lookout is on the Mount Tamalpais Watershed, which is owned by the Marin Municipal Water District. The Lookout structure is owned by the Marin County Fire Dept.