Morro Bay State Park EntranceCCC stonework clearly displayed.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive improvements Morro Bay State Park, as it did throughout California’s new state park system. These included picnic areas, an entrance road, comfort staton, ranger lodge, and stone walls. The work was continued by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) and state relief workers. As Engbeck (2002) explains:
“CCC Company 1916-V, made up of World War I veterans, moved into Camp Morro Bay on May 11, 1934…. Check dams were constructed on Chorro Creek above Morro Bay in order to prevent flooding of the ‘re-claimed lands’ that were to be ‘utilized as beach areas and scenic areas for park visitors.'” “A park entrance road was built along with a new entrance station and a park custodian’s lodge. Extensive masonry work next to the clubhouse included native stone walls, stairs, and pathways. After Morro Rock was transferred to the State of California by Congressional legislation in 1935, the CCC built day-use picnic facilities complete with tables, stoves, restrooms, and a water system.”
“Meanwhile, some of the projects that had been started by the CCC were carried on by WPA and SERA crews. Work included a new boat dock north of the old clubhouse, a day-use picnic facility east of the clubhouse, and rehabilitation of the golf course…. A breakwater was built between Morro Rock and the mainland, and a causeway and park access road were constructed. A trail to the top of Morro Rock was built for the use of park visitors”
The picnic area and trail at Morro Rock have been removed for reasons of wildlife protection. There is conflicting information between Engbeck, quoted here, and other sources that attribute the breakwater and causeway out to Morro Rock to the US Army during World War II.
Joseph H. Engbeck, Jr., "By the People, For the People: The Work of the Civilian Conservation Corps in California State Parks, 1933-1941" (Sacramento: California State Parks, 2002), p. 95-98.
Project originally submitted by Douglas Dodd on April 5, 2009.
Additional contributions by Richard Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE