Morrison School Gymnasium
The Morrison School Gymnasium/Auditorium was constructed in 1939 by the Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA). The Noble County Oklahoma Historic Preservation Survey of 1985 underscores the significance of this auditorium in that it demonstrates “…the involvement of the WPA in the development of educational and recreational facilities.” It goes on to point out that “…the project created jobs for unemployed laborers in the area during the Depression as well as nurturing a sense of civic pride and providing space for community activities.” The other notable feature of the WPA project, according to the Oklahoma Preservation Survey, is the scale and type, and materials used to construct this single story, rectangular WPA building. It is made of rusticated and cut native stone that is laid in a random ashlar pattern.
The waymarking site for the gymnasium/auditorium notes that it is still in use today as part of Morrison School. However, the original entrances to the building are longer there remain because of the attachment of additions to the west, south, and east sides of the building.
Project originally submitted by Hamquilter on September 29, 2017.