On September 29, 1941, the Parks Department announced the completion of a reconstructed playground in the northeast corner of Morningside Park:
“Two bench-lined tree shaded malls extend along the entire north and east sides of the playground connecting the park entrances with the resurfaced park walks. Sloping ground necessitated the construction of the various subdivisions on different levels retained by high curbs and interconnected by short stairways.
The following equipment is provided:
Brick comfort station
2 handball courts
3 shuffleboard courts
3 basketball courts with removable backstops
Pipe frame exercise unit
Kindergarten Apparatus Area:
2 irrigated sand pits and sitting areas
The balance of the work connected with the general improvement of the park now in progress will include the construction of two softball diamonds, a new brick comfort station adjacent to the existing comfort station at West 114th Street, sand pits and sitting area, resurfacing walks and repairing steps, regrading, topsoil and seeding, additional benches and fencing.
The work was carried out by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.”
The playground received its current name in 2000. It was most recently renovated in 2013.
Department of Parks, Press Release, September 29, 1941 NYC Parks - Morningside Park Playground 123 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on December 18, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE