Morgan-Monroe State Forest Site of CCC Camp
Extensive remnants of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp, constructed between 1933 and 1938; concrete foundations, roadbeds, ditches, excavations- overgrown and with a more recent pared road bisecting the area. This site encompasses a larger area and more extensive remnants than are usually found at such locations, perhaps become, as evidence indicate, there were two companies encompassed here. (At one point there was a third company, but scant evidence indicates, its camp was elsewhere, along Anderson Road)
DNR Historic Site and Structures Inventory; CCC Camp Inspection Reports, RG35, E115, Brxes 68-69; National Archives, Washington D.C.; Outdoor Indiana 1934-1942; Department of Conservation Annual Reports 1933-1942.
Project originally submitted by Indiana DNR, Division of Historic Preservation and Archaeology on September 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE