Morgan Falls CCC Stonework
The CCC built a campground near Morgan Falls in the Chequamegon National Forest of northern Wisconsin. The campground flooded in 1946 and closed in 1960 due to over-saturation and unsafe camping conditions. Today, hikers and snowshoers can see fieldstone fireplaces, a well, and a round cistern along the trail that connects Morgan Falls to St. Peter’s Dome, a granite outcrop offering views of Lake Superior.
Forest Service CCC Heritage Tour - Great Divide Ranger District: http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5425991.pdf Morgan Falls and St. Peter's Dome trail map and description, Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest, USDA Forest Service Note: Neither source makes clear if this site served as a camp for the local CCC company or if its original purpose was a campground for visitors and hikers. Either way, the camp was operated by the Chequamegon-Nicolet National Forest until 1960.
Project originally submitted by Natalie Heneghan on December 7, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE