mergeMarker for the park's picnic area and (former) lake.
Monument Valley Park is a two mile stretch of public park land along Monument Creek. It was originally created in 1904-1907. Multiple New Deal agencies contributed to the park’s development and improvement during the 1930s. Flood control was a huge component of Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) work.
“The park was a major focus of Works Progress Administration efforts in the city following the Memorial Day flood of 1935. Projects such as cleaning flood debris from the park grounds, rechannelizing and riprapping Monument Creek, restoring the buildings and structures that survived the cataclysm, and erecting a variety of stone monuments and structures resulted from the federal program. The work undertaken at the park provided a major source of local employment during the Depression era.” (www.historycolorado.org)
https://www.historycolorado.org/sites/default/files/files/OAHP/NRSR/5EP613.pdf (pg. 25 / .pdf pg. 29) https://www.westsidepioneer.com/Articles/062716/CobwebCorners.html
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 22, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE