Wheeler Peak from Mather Overlook
Lehman Caves National Monument was established in 1922 and put under the jurisdiction of the National Park Service in 1933. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) came to Lehman Caves National Monument and set up camp in 1934. The CCC ‘boys’ built and improved campgrounds, water supplies, trails and parking at the visitor center to make the monument more welcoming.
“Within six months, the men of Camp Berry Creek developed new campgrounds in the Duck Creek area, and improved existing facilities at East Creek, Bird Creek, Berry Creek, and Steptoe Creek. The men improved the recreational area at Lehman Caves by adding a public campground and parking areas and piping water to the park.”
The monument was incorporated into a new Great Basin National Park in 1986.
Quote from Renee Corona Kolvet and Victoria Ford, The Civilian Conservation Corps in Nevada: From Boys to Men. University of Nevada Press, 2006. pp. 122-123.
Gretchen Baker, Great Basin National Park: A Guide to the Park and Surrounding Area. Logan UT: Utah State University Press, 2012, 58.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on September 1, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE