MO State Fair, WPA, entrance gates
The Missouri State Fairgrounds have been located at this site since the start of the 20th century. The WPA did extensive work on the site in the 1930s. There were many buildings built by the WPA. The entry gates on the north side, the Donnell building, the infield stands in the track, and the Speed Horse Barn remain. The WPA also improved the roads and walkways through-out the park.
Main gate: “Built in 1939 this Art Deco/Art Moderne rendering in steel and concrete consist of three individual ticket booths spanned by steel arch work containing the Missouri State Seal and the words, MISSOURI STATE FAIR, in ribbon steel. The gateway is at the original north entrance, through which more than a billion people have entered the fairgrounds since the first fair in 1901. The booths are no longer used and the major entry to the fairgrounds is now located off of Limit Ave. (Highway 65).” (https://www.katydepotsedalia.com)
“The smallest contributing resources are concrete drinking fountains (counted as objects) constructed by Works Progress Administration crews and indicated on the district map by the number sign (II). Several concession buildings, some of which are historic, are interspersed among the exposition halls and some animal barns. The oldest of these (#26, etc.) were constructed by WPA workers in the late 1930s.” (waymarking.com)
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on July 8, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE