Projects w1209, w1226-1 and w1226-2 constructed buildings on the campus of then Mississippi State College (now Mississippi State University). The projects were part of a 5-year building program from 1934-1939 totaling $1,424,478. The Box Building was formerly a faculty residence located on President’s Circle and was relocated and brick-veneered. The house was one of several faculty apartment houses and residences constructed during the program. The 1939 Georgian Revival style was originally at 29-31 President’s Circle, and now is located on Morrill Road. Architects were Stevens & Johnson.
Report No. 5. Status of Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects. Region No. 3 Mississippi. (January 3, 1940). Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works Projects Division, p. 105.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory Database. Retrieved August 2019 from https://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/rpt.aspx?rpt=publicPropSearch&Name=&StreetNo=&StreetName=&City=Starkville&County=Any
Building Work Set at State. (Aug. 9, 1939). Clarion-Ledger, p. 10.
Architect Changes ‘Face” of College. (May 4, 1949). Clarion-Ledger, p. 4.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on August 11, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE