The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) developed San Francisco’s Mission Playground, located at 19th and (what was then known as) Angelica Streets, during the Great Depression. The park is still in use today.
Painted swimming pool and dressing rooms, repaired basketball court, children’s area and installed lighting system, rehabilitated entire area, graded, built walls, 2 tennis courts, 1 basketball court. This was one of the older playgrounds in need of repairs.–Healy, p. 66.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Healy, Clyde E. San Francisco Improved: Report of Clyde E. Healy, Assistant City Engineer - City of San Francisco and Coordinator of W.P.A. Projects, Period October 10, 1935 to August 31, 1939. San Francisco : [s.n.]., 1939.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE