In 1942, the Washington Post reported the approval of funds for the Federal Works Agency (FWA) to construct a major water main from 18th Street and Minnesota Avenue to Firth Sterling Avenue and Stevens Road, to serve the Fairlawn, Anacostia and Barry Farm neighborhoods of the district’s southeast quadrant.
This project was part of a much larger program of water, sewer and road projects in the District in the early 1940s.
“$2,135,250 District works fund approved,” Washington Post, January 27, 1942, p. 15
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on April 3, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE