“The Millville airport was dedicated on August 2, 1941, by local, state, and federal officials. The first contingent of Air Corps personnel arrived on 17 December 1942. In less than a year construction of base facilities began, and in January 1943, the Millville Army Air Field opened as a United States Army Air Forces gunnery school for fighter pilots. It was assigned to First Air Force.”
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) undertook a $740,593.00 project to construct the airport, sponsored by the War Department. Official Project Number: 165‐1‐22‐337.
Nationwide Context, Inventory, and Heritage Assessment of Works Progress Administration and Civilian Conservation Corps Resources on Department of Defense Installations, July 2009 (page C-120).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on February 21, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE