Meramec State Park, CCC Staircase
Extensive work by the CCC is seen in this park close to the city of St. Louis. It includes shelters, a stone pump house, stone observation tower, entrance stone work, and assorted bridges, steps, and walls. Adjacent to the park are the remains of the CCC company 2728 camp. The camp and work lasted from 1933-1935.
An on-site sign describes CCC work in the park as follows:
“In 1933, Meramec State Park was among the first parks in Missouri to benefit from President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal, a government program created in response to the Great Depression. As part of that program, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a 220-man camp in Sullivan, Mo. in the nine years that followed, Meramec State Park hosted two CCC companies, y39 and 2728, in which 2,500 men worked.
After establishing their temporary quarters, the young enrollees began constructing the park’s permanent public facilities like the dining lodge, cabins and recreation hall visible across the road. The ‘Three Cers,’ as they were sometimes called, also built distinctive structures like the hexagonal observation tower on the Bluff Vuew Trail. Trail access begins here in the parking lot…
CCC workers made an impact on nearly all parts of the park…
The labor of the men of the CCC…transformed this portion of the Meramec River Valley into a recreation destination for countless visitors. This monument honors them for struggling through one of our nation’s most difficult times and for leaving us a lasting legacy in Meramec State Park.”
On site information.
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on June 16, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE