The Works Progress Administration (WPA) contributed to the development Memorial Park. “At the close of the war, when the camp was abandoned, part of the site was acquired by the Hogg brothers, who, in 1924, turned 1,000 acres over to the City at cost. Later, an additional 503 acres were obtained. Hare and Hare, Kansas City landscape architects, planned the improvement work which was carried out during the succeeding years, first as a local, then as a State relief project, and finally under the supervision of the Work Projects Administration.”
"Houston, a history and guide," by Writers' Program of the Work Projects Administration in the State of Texas (pg. 334)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 31, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE