Memorial Hall, New England, ND
Constructed between December 1935 and September 1936, the historic War Memorial Building (also known as Memorial Hall, and now home to American Legion Anton Ulijohn Post 66) was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds.
The building was described in a Federal Writers’ Project guide as a “a modern, stuccoed MEMORIAL BUILDING, a community center completed under the Works Progress Administration in 1936,” though Living New Deal cannot presently confirm WPA involvement with the construction.
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 151. National Register of Historic Places nomination form: http://history.nd.gov/hp/PDFinfo/MPDF%20Complete%20Rev%2010_2010.pdf (page 34) "North Dakota: A Guide to the Northern Prairie State" by Federal Writers Project, 1938 (page 229).
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on March 29, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE