Memorial Field of Flushing
The Memorial Field of Flushing opened in November, 1934 in a ceremony attended by Mayor LaGuardia. The press release announcing the event described the extensive work carried out with New Deal support:
“The land for the Flushing Memorial Playfield was given to the City by the Memorial Field of Flushing, Inc., for the development of a playground. Labor and material were supplied from Work Relief funds.
A one-story field house of Colonial design is located in a corner of the playground. Eight tennis courts, eight handball courts and two basketball courts are provided in addition to swings, seesaws, sand tables and other outdoor gymnasium equipment.”
The field house referred to is still standing, as are the tennis, handball and basketball courts.
New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 Department of Parks, Press Release, November 8, 1934
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on September 3, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE