Veterans Building-Park City UT-East Facade
Park City’s historic War Memorial Building (and Public Auditorium) is a federal New Deal project funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA supplied a $57,225 grant toward the project, which was matched by local funds. There is conflicting information in PWA records and on the plaques on the building whether it was built in 1938-39 or 1939-40; the former seems more likely.
The War Memorial Building originally contained an auditorium, bowling alley, game rooms, meeting rooms and kitchen and dining room. It is a handsome example of “Pueblo Revival” popular in the 1920s and 30s in the western US – not generic “Art Deco” as claimed on the city history plaque.
The building has previously served as the headquarters of the city recreation department, studios of the city radio station KPCW and hosted city council meetings. It now houses non-profit organizations, Park City Live (a concert venue), and private businesses, including restaurants. The facade was being redone in 2017.
The original plaque does not mention the PWA. The City History plaque mentions the New Deal role in funding the building.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
|57225||113970||PWA Docket No. UT W1175|
National Archives: Record Group 135: Public Works Administration; Projects Control Division; Entry 52: Indices to Non-Federal Projects; Report No. 5: Status of All Completed Non-Federal Allotted Projects, page 210.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 21, 2016.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE