The CCC company 1442 provided labor for the initial development of what was initially known as Shelby State Park, planting trees, damming the lake, and building trails. National Park Service funded the project and labor was provided by CCC, and later, by WPA crews who built cabins and an administration building. The Resettlement Administration supervised the work crews. Planning began in 1933, land clearing in 1935. Additional building was planned, but interrupted by World War II.
Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee’s New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press. Van West, C. (December 25, 2009). Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park. The Encyclopedia of Tennessee History and Culture. Retrieved from http://tennesseeencyclopedia.net/entry.php?rec=884
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 22, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE