Mechanical Arts Building
The historic Moroni High School Mechanical Arts Building was constructed as a New Deal project. Work began under the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and was completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The building is now privately owned.
National Register of Historic Places nomination:
“This is one of three high school shop buildings constructed in Sanpete County that use the same basic design. The other two are in Ephraim and Mt. Pleasant, both of which are still standing and are eligible for nomination. All three of these buildings are large, two-story box-like structures with rectangular plans and centrally placed two-story entrance porticos. The Moroni building is identical to the one erected at Mt. Pleasant. It is constructed of cream-colored limestone and has a low-pitched hipped roof. The openings are arranged symmetrically to the sides of the entrance bay which has a gable roof, heavy cornice returns, a round arch upper story window, and a molded cornice over the front door itself. There are quoins at the corners.”
“The project was approved in November 1934; construction began in January of 1935 and was completed in April 1936.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 23, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE