“McKissick Museum is located at the heart of the historic Horseshoe on the Columbia campus of the University of South Carolina. It was established in 1976 by the University Board of Trustees to bring together under one roof the many object collections housed in various departments and colleges across campus…
The McKissick building is a Works Progress Administration structure erected in 1939 as the University’s library. It stands on the site of the first President’s house built on the Horseshoe, which was removed to make room for the library in 1937. A plaque commemorating the house lies in front of McKissick Museum at the edge of the grass bordering the plaza.” (http://artsandsciences.sc.edu)
National Archives, RG 69 Records of the Work Projects Administration, “Information Service (Primary) File, 1936-1942.” http://artsandsciences.sc.edu/mckissickmuseum/index.php?q=about
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on May 21, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE