Dr. Ephraim McDowell HouseHistoric American Buildings Survey HABS KY,11-DANV,1-9
“The Dr. Ephraim McDowell House, also known as McDowell House, was a home of medical doctor Ephraim McDowell.
The home was declared a U.S. National Historic Landmark in 1966…
The House was built in three stages. A brick ell was constructed 1792-1795. Dr. McDowell purchased it in late 1802. He added the front, clapboard portion in 1803-1804 and the small brick office to the left of the back porch in 1820. The house was remodeled at the same time…
The Kentucky Medical Association bought the house in 1935 and deeded it to the state of Kentucky, who had it restored by Works Progress Administration (WPA). It was dedicated on May 20, 1939. In 1948, Kentucky returned the property to the Kentucky Medical Association.”
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE