East Gate - McClain Rogers Park - Clinton, OK
The Works Progress Administration (WPA), the Federal Emergency Relief Admn (FERA), and the Civil Works Admn (CWA) built multiple facilities in McClain Rogers Park in Clinton OK.
“McClain Rogers Park was built with the combined efforts of the Federal Emergency Relief Admn (FERA), the Civil Works Admn (CWA), and the Works Progress Admn (WPA). It was constructed during the period 1934 to 1937. This is an area of about 12 acres which is bordered on the east by S. 10th, on the west by S. 13th, between Opal to the north and Jaycee on the south. There are two large entrance gates, one on 10th and the other on Opal.
The park was added to the National Register in 2004 and contains the original recreational features it did back in the 1930’s. Construction in the park includes several rock buildings, ball fields, picnic facilities, fountains, and a bridge and drainage ditch. This was a popular recreation site for those traveling Route 66 in the 1930’s and 1940’s, which runs just to the south.
Several of the WPA buildings (the concession stand and north entrance building) are boarded up, however the rock restroom building is now headquarters for the Highway Patrol, and the large bathhouse is home to the Dept. of Public Safety. The large amphitheater/bandstand is actively used for community events.”
Waymarker, McClain Rogers Park - Clinton OK:(https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM11DN6_McClain_Rogers_Park_Clinton_OK), accessed November 2019.
Oklahoma Landmarks Inventory: (http://oli_shpo.okstate.edu/query_result.aspx?id=68316&pbc=P), accessed November 2019.
Project originally submitted by hamquilter on November 28, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE