McCarren Park Handball Courts
The sizeable McCarren Park in Brooklyn (Williamsburg) dates to the early 20th century, but received several additions in the 1930s with New Deal support. The best known of these is the WPA pool that opened in 1936. But the Department of Parks also announced the reconstruction of the park’s play facilities in August 1935 and the addition of sixteen handball courts and a roller skating rink in December 1936.
As researcher Frank da Cruz explains here, almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were accomplished with New Deal support. From April 1935 on, the WPA quickly became the main source of relief funds and labor for the NYC Parks Department.
New York City Parks: "McCarren Park"
Department of Parks, Press Release, August 30, 1935
Department of Parks, Press Release, December 11, 1936
New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on September 18, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE