The former Mattamuskeet Pumping Station, now the Mattamuskeet Lodge(Courtesy: Charles Swaney)
“In 1934, the United States Government bought Lake Mattamuskeet and created Mattamuskeet Migratory Bird Refuge. The purchase included all physical structures and improvements on the land, including the Pumping Station. The Mattamuskeet Drainage District ceased to exist and the lake soon refilled. Between 1935 and 1937, the government converted the Pumping Station into a hunting lodge and headquarters building for the new refuge. Company 424 of the Civilian Conservation Corps did much of the conversion work, with 17 to 23 year old ‘CCC boys’ working side by side with civilian contractors. The transformed building opened to the public in November 1937 and operated as ‘Mattamuskeet Lodge’ until 1974.” (Historic Albemarle)
http://historicalbemarletour.org/north-carolina-mattamuskeet.htm http://www.mattamuskeet.org/history/ccc424-bell_island_camps.htm http://www.mattamuskeet.org/album_toc/ccc_camps.htm http://www.mattamuskeetlodge.com/Home.aspx
Project originally submitted by Charles Swaney on December 28, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE