Martin Luther Playground, Brooklyn, NY
The New York Times reported in 1941 that, as part of WPA efforts, Brooklyn would receive six new playgrounds, located at: “Third Avenue and Thirty-fourth Street, Second Avenue and Fifty-fifth Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway and Fifty-second Street, Albany and Foster Avenues, Park and Nostrand Avenues and Eastern Parkway Extension and Fulton Street.” Martin Luther Playground is the second site referenced.
According to New York City’s Parks Department website, Martin Luther Playground, so named in 1987, “was originally acquired by the city in 1907. The property was expanded in 1940 and was opened to the public on June 5, 1942.”
"Central Park Area to Be Improved For Benefit of Harlem Residents"; The New York Times, Sept. 22, 1941
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on April 15, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE