Marshfield High School Entrance
With the provision of Public Works Administration (PWA) funding, the City of Marshfield, Oregon replaced its crowded, thirty-year-old high school in 1939-1940 on the same site. Local funds covered 55% of project costs.
The New Deal era campus construction included the main classroom building, an auditorium, and a new gym. At the time, the new gym was referred to as the west gym. Portland architect Francis Marion Stokes designed the concrete Art Deco structure. Additional buildings were added later to accommodate the high school’s growth and changing needs but the Marshfield classroom building and Auditorium still dominate the eastern facade.
Residents voted to consolidate the cities of Marshfield and Empire, Oregon in 1944. The consolidated jurisdiction was renamed Coos Bay. Marshfield High School sits adjacent to the Marshfield Pioneer IOOF Cemetery and overlooks the historic district of Coos Bay.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Marshfield High Project Aided," The Sunday Oregonian. March 31, 1940. p. 24.
"Marshfield High School," Wikipedia page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshfield_High_School_(Coos_Bay,_Oregon) Viewed: December 27, 2021.
"Marshfield High School," Oregon State Historic Preservation Office - Oregon Historic Site Record. February 11, 2010.
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on December 27, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE