Mark Keppel High School – Alhambra CA

Description

Most of the school was funded by PWA grants. Fall 1938 editions of the Daily Pacific Builder cite bids being collected for contracts on the Mark Keppel High School administration, physical education and industrial arts buildings, as well as for heating and ventilation work.

"The morning of December 19, 1938 dawned damp and cool. Nevertheless, workmen eager to earn a day's pay huddled in groups in the field that sloped downward toward the streetcar tracks, airport hangers, and a Valley Boulevard awakening to light work-bound traffic. As they waited for their orders, some of the men, jacket collars turned up against the chill, conversed quietly; others silently took in the panorama, looking back at the nodding oil well pumps that peppered the Montebello hills behind them or out at the San Gabriel Valley that dropped down before them before climbing back up towards the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains. The ground-breaking ceremonies had been held three days before, and now the men were eager to start work on the construction of Mark Keppel High School, a WPA [sic] project that would keep them employed for more than two years."

Source notes

http://www.mkhs.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=62613&type=d

Daily Pacific Builder, November 11, December 15, 20 1938; January 9, February 2, 1939.

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

Location Info


501 East Hellman Avenue
Alhambra, CA 91801

Location notes:

Coordinates: 34.069808, -118.116763

One comment on “Mark Keppel High School – Alhambra CA

  1. Joe Vogel

    I am a graduate of Mark Keppel High School’s class of 1962. The original buildings are still standing, though altered in part. Mark Keppel High School was designed by the architectural firm of Marston & Maybury, headed by Sylvanus Marston, one of Pasadena’s leading architects during the first half of the 20th century. Many buildings designed by Marston are now listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but unfortunately Mark Keppel is not among them.

    While the exterior of the north wing of the main building was insensitively altered in the 1970s, the remainder of the building is much the same as it was originally. Unfortunately, much of the spacious front lawn, which set off the Streamline Modern facade so nicely, was recently replaced by a parking lot after the original parking area behind the building was used for an expansion of the school.

Leave a Reply

Before leaving a comment, please note:

  • Comments allow viewers to share information with others or alert us to errors or changes in a New Deal site.
  • We are not involved in the management of New Deal sites and have no information about visits, hours or rentals.
  • This page shows all the information we have for this site; if you have new information or photos to share, click below.

SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE

We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.