Marietta National CemeteryView West
Between 1938 and 1940 the WPA and the War Department conducted a joint effort to improve the landscape design of the Marietta National Cemetery (c. 1866). Though an elaborate archway and speaking platform had been erected in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the cemetery by the 1930s had fallen into disrepair. In 1938, the War Department agreed to have 150 WPA workers improve the grounds. Work included expanding the boundaries of the cemetery on its western side, rehabilitating existing structures and buildings, replacing over 8000 headstones, paving the drive areas, and constructing a reticulated rock wall around the cemetery. All supplies used in the project were purchased by local dealers through a low-bid process. The cemetery is still in use.
General information about the cemetery can be found online at https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/marietta.asp. The project description for WPA work to be performed at the cemetery found in Marietta Daily Journal 23 February 1938.
Project originally submitted by Mark Barron on March 23, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE