Old Manteo Fire Department
The Manteo Fire Station was constructed with the assistance of WPA funds. The remaining money was raised locally by the Manteo Fire Department, which organized a series of dances. The downstairs was used to house fire equipment while the upstairs served as town hall. The building was remodeled in 1977 when it received its Tudor makeover.
The Fire Department has since moved to another location, and this building is now privately owned.
Roanoke Island Fire Department Organized 42 Years Ago, Coastland Times, Manteo, NC 10/12/1972 Manteo Dedicates WPA Built Municipal Building, News and Observer, Raleigh, NC 4/26/1942
Project originally submitted by Sarah Downing on June 29, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE