Utility Building - Yosemite National Park CA
The Group Utility Building (original name) in Yosemite Valley opened 1935. It was funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA).
The utility building consolidated a hodgepodge of old shops, forges, storage and maintenance into one facility. It also provided three bays for fire trucks.
It is a mammoth structure covering 18,548 square feet and lacking in any architectural niceties, hence popularly known as “Fort Yosemite.” Despite its size, however, very few visitors ever see it or know of it. It is tucked away in the maintenance and parking areas north of the Visitors’ Center and Yosemite Museum.
Project originally submitted by John Broesamle on February 11, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE