The land for Mahoney Playground was acquired in two parts in 1933 and in 1961. Parks announced the opening of a new playground on the first half in 1937, with “a fully equipped small children’s section besides facilities for handball, basketball, horseshoe pitching, paddle tennis, shuffle board and Softball for older children and adults. Here, too, benches and shade trees are also provided.”
Although the 1937 press release does not mention the WPA or other New Deal agencies, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that almost all New York City Parks Department projects between 1934 and 1943 were carried out with New Deal funds and/or labor, and that after April 1935, the WPA quickly became the main source of this support.
The park was renovated in the 1990s.
Department of Parks, Press Release, July 24, 1937 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on October 30, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE