madrona07Madrona Playground Shelter House, looking south
During the late 1930s, with funding assistance from the Works Progress Administration, the Seattle Park Department upgraded Madrona Playground. The largest component of the improvement project was the construction of a new shelter house near the north end of the playground, immediately east of an already existing pair of tennis courts. WPA workers began constructing the shelter house in 1938. Completed the following year, the one-story, brick structure housed a recreational playroom, instructor’s room, caretaker’s room, and men’s and women’s restrooms. Interior features included hardwood floors and a fireplace at the north end of the recreation room. Significant renovation work on the shelter house was completed in 1992.
"Madrona Playground." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed May 12, 2017. http://clerk.seattle.gov/~F_archives/sherwood/MadronaPG.pdf Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Reports. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1938, 1939. "Summary for 925 34th Ave / Parcel ID 9184700160 / Inv # DPR058." Seattle Department of Neighborhoods. Accessed May 12, 2017. http://web6.seattle.gov/DPD/HistoricalSite/QueryResult.aspx?ID=-1587143270 "Madrona Tour Includes Renovated Landmark." The Seattle Times, April 22, 1992.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on May 17, 2017.