Madras Grade School
The Public Works Administration (PWA) approved a grant for construction of the Madras Grade School in 1938. The original, $35,000 four-room school building plus auditorium was designed by the Portland architectural firm of Roald & Schneider and constructed by Baldwin & Whier of Hood River.
Substantial renovation work has expanded the school, currently called the Madras Elementary School. The front facade, however, retains much of its orginal colonial revival appearance. The one-story, red brick building is decorated with simplified classical details.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
"Madras Elementary School," Oregon State Historic Preservation Office Database. http://heritagedata.prd.state.or.us/historic/index.cfm?do=v.dsp_siteSummary&resultDisplay=656179
"School Structures Designed for Oregon Towns," Oregonian. November 13, 1938. p. 27,
Project originally submitted by Judith T Kenny on June 22, 2021.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE