Madison County Courthouse, Huntsville, Arkansas
“Plans were announced in 1939 for construction of the present courthouse by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works. The new building was approved in the November 8 general election and a $90,090 allotment was provided. A new site was selected at 1 Main Street and three houses were sold and moved to make way for the new courthouse. … The dedication ceremony was held on November 30, 1939. Congressman Clyde T. Ellis of the Third Congressional District delivered the dedicatory address. The building was lauded for its up-to-date fixtures and modern courtroom and jail.”
“The Madison County Courthouse is … the best example of the Art Deco style of architecture in the county seat of Huntsville… Designed by architects J. Ewing Shelton and B. Chester Nelson, the new courthouse was rendered in a restrained version of the Art Deco style and constructed of glazed brick and cut limestone.”
The building became listed on the National Register of Historic Places on November 19, 1993.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on October 6, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE