Mackenzie ParkPart of the entrance of Mackenzie Park
Mackenzie State Recreation Area, commonly referred to as Mackenzie Park, is located in the northeast portion of Lubbock. The park was first built in 1921, and included a pool and a golf course. During the Depression city leaders desired to expand the park and a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp was established that constructed roads, bridges, recreation facilities, and landscaping. The majority of CCC buildings no longer exist, but the landscaping and improvements still remain. The park currently has a golf course, swimming pool, recreation building, camping and picnicking facilities, a small amusement park, and a prairie dog town.
The Texas State Historical Association (https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/gkm07), accessed February 2020.
Project originally submitted by Cameron Carter on February 28, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE