“Built in 1936-1937, the Women’s Residence Hall (Lund Hall) is one of over 230 public works buildings constructed in Utah under various New Deal programs during the Depression years of the 1930s and ’40s. The construction of public works buildings, of which only 130 are extant and well preserved, not only offered temporary work relief, but also provided long-term benefits in the form of improved facilities for a variety of local public programs. … Architect of the Women’s Residence Hall was the Salt Lake City-based firm of Young & Hansen, and the general contractor was Frank Campion. The building was designed to accommodate 105 women students, and it was “built in such a manner that sunshine is available in every girl’s room.”
The building has since been demolished.
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on November 23, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE