Lt. Joseph Petrosino Park
An August 1935 Parks Department press release lists what is now the Lt. Joseph Petrosino Park as one of seventy-three play areas developed in the preceding year with “city, state and federal relief funds.” The release describes this park as having play areas designed for mothers and infants, older children, adolescents and adults.
The playground opened on May 24, 1935. NYC Parks website further explains that “Distributed around its perimeter were handball courts, slides, swings, a wading pool, jungle gym, and recreation building.” The park was renovated in 1993.
Although neither source identifies which federal agencies were involved, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that New Deal park projects developed before August 1935 would have been financed by one or more agencies including the CWA, FERA, the RFC, TERA or, after April 1935, the WPA.
NYC Parks - Lt. Joseph Petrosino Park New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 Department of Parks, Press Release, August 12, 1935
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on February 7, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE