On January 15, 1940, the New York City Department of Parks announced the completion of this “new facility” at Alexander Ave. and 136th St.:
“It contains four handball courts, a large, open, bi[t]uminous-surfaced play area for group games, small and large swings, see-saws, slides, a jungle gym, a completely equipped playground with sand pit and wading pool for smaller children, and a comfort station. A planting area with shade trees borders the playground. Numerous concrete benches have been provided.
…[This park was] designed by the Park Department and built by the Work Projects Administration…” (https://kermitproject.org)
The park was renamed for Private Carlos J. Lozada in 1995.
https://kermitproject.org/newdeal/pdf/1940a.html#1940/01/15 https://kermitproject.org/newdeal/projects.html https://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/lozada-playground
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 7, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE