Loyal Heights Playfield
The Seattle Park Department acquired the property for Loyal Heights Playground in 1941 and, that same year, employed WPA workers to clear and regrade the site, which naturally sloped downward from north to south. More than 7,300 cubic yards of dirt fill were added as part of the regrading project. Work on the playfield continued until December 1941, when all WPA workers at the site were transferred to defense work in preparation for World War II.
"Loyal Heights Playfield and Community Center." Seattle Parks and Recreation. Accessed May 7, 2016. Seattle Board of Park Commissioners. Annual Report. Seattle, WA: Seattle Board of Park Commissioners, 1941.
Project originally submitted by Scott Newman on May 9, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE