Louisiana State Museum, Cabildo Building
The Cabildo has a long and notorious history. It was constructed in 1795-99 as the seat of the Spanish municipal government in New Orleans. The name of the governing body who met there was the “Illustrious Cabildo” or city council. It was site of the Louisiana Purchase Transfer in 1803. The building later served as the home of the Louisiana Supreme Court and was where the nationally significant Slaughterhouse and Plessey vs. Ferguson cases were heard before they went up to the U.S. Supreme Court.
The Cabildo became the home of the Louisiana State Museum in 1911 and remains the flagship of that institution.
Project originally submitted by Shaina Potts on June 12, 2012.
Additional contributions by Richard A Walker.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE