LA International Airport Buildings"Photo made from the control tower, shows a close-up view of buildings." - National Archives and Records Administration Neg. 5781-C
Mines Field opened as the official airport of Los Angeles in 1930, but when it applied for WPA funds in 1935, it was rejected because the land was still leased from private owners. In 1937, the city took full control of the airport and massive WPA construction commenced. The airport's name was officially changed to the Los Angeles Airport in 1941 and to the Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) in 1949. The government saw its work on this airport as being of immense significance for national defense. The official description of the 1940s photos shown below reads:
"Los Angeles Municipal Airport – Formerly known as Mines Field, this airport has been converted into one of the major airports on the Pacific Coast by WPA. While a considerable portion of the improvement program is in process, projects to date have totaled $2,000,878. Throughout the present summer, 1600 WPA workers have been busy at the airport making improvements. When the National Defense Program was first launched, Herbert C. Legg, WPA Administrator for Southern California, tabbed the Los Angeles Municipal Airport as a "priority" project, to be rushed to completion for National Defense purposes."
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The Spanish style building is still there and is in use although there is no sign indicating who is using it.