"The Lordsburg-Hidalgo County Library is a single-story adobe building constructed in 1936-1937 as part of a Works Progress Administration (WPA) cost-sharing program with the Town of Lordsburg and Hidalgo County. The library is situated west of the corner of Third Street and Second Avenue within the town limits of Lordsburg, New Mexico. The library is approximately rectangular in plan, measuring at a maximum 61.0 by 54.3 feet or 3,057 square feet. There have been a minimal number of alterations to the building. With the exception of the enclosing of the courtyard, the building retains its original floor plan and the majority of its character defining features."
-National Register of Historic Places
National Register of Historic Places Registration Form: Lordsburg-Hidalgo County Library, New Mexico (Oct. 1990). Pg. 5. <www.newmexicohistory.org> "New Deal Sites in New Mexico," Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, New Mexico Humanities Council. <http://atlas.nmhum.org/atlas.php?gmap=42>
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE