Lopez School, WP-52, was started Sept 25, 1935 and completed Dec 13, 1935. Federal funds included $1003 and sponsor contribution was $296 for repairs and renovations to the 1925 1.5 story building. The front lawn was graded and prepared for drainage, and an adjacent lot graded for a playground. The exterior woodwork was painted, and some interior painting and plastering of the cafeteria ceiling completed. The project included payroll for 14 laborers and 9 skilled workers of $809.04.
The school was demolished September 2000.
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory, Biloxi. Retrieved Sept. 5, 2020 from:
WPA Program Well Under Way. (Dec 18, 1935). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1
Outline Biloxi WPA Program. (Dec. 31, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 1, 7.
WPA Program is Outlined. (Jul 30, 1936). Biloxi Daily Herald, p. 2.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 6, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE