"Typical Activities of a Beach and Harbor City"
This glazed tile mosaic, measuring 38′ in height by 22′ wide, is titled “Typical Activities of a Beach and Harbor City.” It was completed in 1938 with funding from the WPA Federal Art Project. It was originally installed on the arched façade of the Municipal Auditorium. When the original structure was razed in 1979, the mosaic was saved by a community effort and installed at its current location on the south side of the City Place parking structure in 1982. The site was commemorated as Harvey Milk Promenade Park in 2013.
Originally posted in the New Deal Art Registry: http://www.newdealartregistry.org/ Additional information courtesy of the Historical Society of Long Beach: http://hslb.org/product/municipal-auditorium-mosaic-1939/
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE